Friday, August 15, 2014

She Explores / Fancy Pants

Hello there, My Scraps fans!  It's Missy here with you today.  There is a new sketch up over on our Sketch Blog today, and it's a really cool one.  If you like a challenge, then this one is for you.  You can go check it out HERE for the full design team reveal.

The big arrow-type designs at the top and bottom are a big part of the sketch.  This design was definitely out of my comfort zone, but I went with it and tried to be creative.  I used papers & embellishments from the Me-Ology line from Fancy Pants.  I pulled out a 6x6 Crafter's Workshop template and some coordinating acrylic paints.   I took a small paint brush and simply painted inside the stencil to create this multi-colored grid on the top and bottom.  Once it was dry, I traced over each shape with a black pen to make it look a bit sharper.  

I like the way the arrow shapes dry the eye to the photos in the center.  I layered a few papers, some washi tapes, a few die cuts, and some thread.


Layering is one of my favorite techniques.  I think every layout I create has some sort of layering on it, and this one is no exception.  I especially love making fun cuts with my Cameo to layer in, like the white circles here.  I also like the look of layering Thickers...on top of paper and on top of each other!


Another angle of the layering.  I love adding in embellishments once the layers are complete :)  Isn't this flair pin adorable?


Now up close you can see that the painting isn't perfect..  It smudged a lot, but I kind of like that it's messy.  I just decided to try something different, and I wound up liking the result.


I hope this inspires you to get out of your comfort zone and try something you're kind of hesitant to try.  I found the sketch a little intimidating at first, but once I got my arrows created, the rest was easy.  I hope you are able to get creative with the sketch!  Go HERE to see it!

You can also see what the rest of the team came up with....there are LOTS of different ideas!

Have a great weekend!

Missy :)

8 comments :

  1. I love your painting and this fun collection! What a fun, colorful layout! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job on your layout! The little birds are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the yellow paint really highlights the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic, Missy! I love how many details go in to each and every one of your layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous design! I love how you interpreted the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the dimension, colors and arrows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute and I love that flair as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that paper you used for the top and bottom triangle

    ReplyDelete